Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Martha Washington Restoration

This old timer stopped in for some attention after many years in the field.
I don't have any idea how old this one is, but notice the oxidation on the inner bones of this piece. Looks like it was heavily stained but it wasn't.
 The crown was cracked in several places. It glued and clamped up real Nice.
All the exposed wood sure needed some attention, it freshened up really nice with Howard's Restor-a-finish.
After inspecting the springs which were in fantastic shape, a coat of traditional burlap and replace the wooden nosing.
 Lots of cotton tailored up as I want a nice tight drum.
 I use drapery back lining to put all the stuffings away.
It sure helps to keep my work clean.
I was pretty deep into the final coverings when I noticed a flaw in the fabric. The owners supply their own fabric on this one and small flaws were throughout the 3 yards. I inspect the fabric when I cut the pieces off of the bolts but missed this one. I didn't continue, removed this covering and replaced with another.  The flaw is in the center of the pic.

Traditional burlap webbing for the inside back.
 Then cotton stuffings with another lining set.

 And another thin coat of cotton, before the final coverings.
And extra thin coat of cotton on the outside back.
Proud 5/32 piping helps accent the great lines.
Keeping the threads straight throughout the tailoring process is necessary or people with a sharp eyes.
And the inside back.
My camera didn't do a very good job showing this Nice colored light gold/ Cream colored fabric with colorful dots.
I'd say this chair is ready to go for another 60.
Thanks for looking here!
Practical upholstery
The #1 blog in all of blogdom
For North American upholstery shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment