Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

wood fired sauna

I finally decided to build a wood fired sauna.




##From here on down in this post, I would think the most folks interested would be someone considering building and/ or designing their own sauna for themselves.##
The key to begin this project was running into this fisher wood stove, the baby bear model. created in the late 1970's.
I needed to sand and grind the rust off the outside and used the black oil to cure the outside.
The rocks i picked from the side of the road and scrubbed them clean and pre dried them out so they won't crack.
 The interior I used pine tongue and groove 1 X 6's.

 I saw this idea of the little slats installed where you lean against the wall.
Below i used pressure treated 1 X 8's for the platform.With metal support brackets.
Outside measurements are 90 X 90 inches.

With some liquid nail to hold down and prevent creaking of the 3/4 inch underlayment plywood.

And these scorpion screws became one of my best supplies throughout the building process.
And up goes the walls i pre made before putting in place. 
Using the smaller 2 X 3's.
I made a mold and poured my own corner foundation blocks.
 Took quite a bit of head scratchin' to put up this 4 sided roof but really adds to the look.


A pic of me and my lovely wife as the 4th wall went up.

And the plywood attached really made for solid sterdy walls


I decided on construction screen to close out the roof eves. painted black as well as paining black the underside of the roof for astetics.
This quarter inch thick tar matting really makes for a nice roofing job.
standard drip edge.

 Sure was nice to get the roof done so i could work with my feet back on the ground.

Right by the door i installed all the lighting for inside and outside lights.
With the outside recepticle.
Below the pic of the mount for an outside light. There wouldn't be an outside light if it wasn't suggested by my wife. It is a great example of all the help throughout the building process by offering me different suggestions i got from so many friends and aquantances . from how to, What tools to use, design and little "things" that helped this turn out as nice as it did.
And as pain free as possible.
You all know who you are.
I did 98% percent of the labor myself
but truly,
I couldn't have done it without you.
Thank you!

Canadian eastern cedar shakes look real sharp. i pre stained and dried 4 bundles before applying them to the exterior.




I am so happy that i put the two small breathe vents that can be seen in the two pics below.
All the moisture from a sauna all evaporates without leaving the door or window open within 12 hours.

The door was sure a major part of the building process.


I bought fire place brick and fireplace cement and built a "nuckle" to absorb the heat.
Sure was one full day doing the brick work.

Interior view of the door.
A simple bungee cord does the trick no handle needed.

Just before the benches.
A lotta' thought went into building the proper benches.
I used pine 1 X 3's here with no not 1 X 3's on the seat area.
The fisher baby bear sure puts out a lot of heat and steam for a small amount of wood.
I put two heavy duty copper wires attached to the roof trusses, drilled two holes at the right angle and left enough extra outside before i installed the wooden ceiling. For support of the stove pipe.

I made up this handle out of a piece of pine 2 X 4.
 Saunas are not suppose to have latched doors.
This little bolt latch top and bottom can be used if the door ever wants to warp off frame.
The door came out so nice!
Some fabric attached with stainless steel staples really helps so the door won't get soiled from hand prints.
I got this done just as winter was setting in.

Thanks for looking!


No comments:

Post a Comment