Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New Hampshire Boat Upholstery

I can't fit a boat through my shop door but seats, seat backs and side panels sure do!

                        Above shows a reupholstered fantail cover and the fantail backrest bench.
I replced support bracket plates ; glued and nailed.
The patterning on this one kept me on my toes.
With all the curved corners.
The staples were not stainless and rusted out years before allowing the original vinyl to distort as it shrunk and aged.
Patterning this one out was a challenge!
I shedded the piping for a nice clean topstitched seams.
Tailored up the marine grade vinyl with lots of steam and stainless steel staples.
 No flutters in this job!
 Nice strait seams.
The waves belong on the water not on the upholstery stitch line.
 The word stitch means "a line".
 I marked out the old screw holes for the installer, so the job can be installed smoothly.
And kept the old cover with the pattern on it.
 Smooth corners.


                                                           

Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. That's great work. No wrinkles anywhere? Use a heat gun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rick, I find a heat gun works the same as a jiffy steamer. I set it under the vinyl cover for a minute or 2 and it rally softens it up.

    ReplyDelete